Thursday, February 14, 2008

What is love?

What is love, if I may ask? It’s just a simple 4-letter word, but when you’re attacked by love, it can turn your life upside down. It could embrace you like a warm sunny day in the summer and, on the contrary, it might thrust your heart like a sharp wind in the winter.

Then again, what is love, actually? Quoting Mark Twain, I would say that love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. It’s interesting, innit? It may sound a little bit confusing, but it’s not as puzzling as the following quote from Woody Allen:

“To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.”

So, am I still trying to understand what love is? Now I prefer not to. I don’t need to know the literal meaning of love. I just want to experience it, to feel the excitement of fancying and being fancied by someone, to have flushed cheeks when meet my special one, or even to suffer from missing or being missed by someone.

I want to experience all the chemistry of love, as being described by a neighbouring blog, and embraced like a warm sunny day in the summer.

0 comments: